Potassium Sorbate is a preservative that does occur naturally in some berries, but when used in the foods that we eat it is synthetically derived.
Some of the side effects from consuming 202 can include the following list. Remember that a lot of these foods are consumed on an almost daily basis in most households i.e. a small tub of yoghurt in a lunchbox, so the the preservative can accumulate in the system.
- contact dermatitis
- eye irritation
- nasal irritation
- burning mouth syndrome
- the full range of food intolerance reactions including irritable bowel symptoms
- children's behaviour problems.
Foods that 202 will often be found in and that you will need to scrutinize include:
- Bread i.e. Loaves, English Muffins, crumpets
- Flat breads and tortillas (e.g. Old El Paso, also contain other preservatives)
- Bakery products such as cakes, pikelets, pancakes, waffles (make your own!)
- Flour products such as fresh pasta and noodles
- Cheese, Cream cheese, cottage cheese, cheese slices, cheese sticks
- Reduced fat cheeses and spreads
- Yoghurts (Yoplait are a well known brand that use this preservative)
- Drinks including fruit juices, cordial, brewed soft drinks, wine
- Fruit syrups, preserved figs, cherries
- Margarines, spreads and dips
I know that there are at least 3 things on the above list that we consume daily - how about you?